Influenza A

She doesn't need the flu shot, they said. We'll be fine, they said. And by "they" I mean "I".

I had made the decision pretty early on in the season that Lola didn't need the flu shot. I got the flu shot and Lola is pretty much with me all day everyday, so I had very little concern about it. But who knew the flu would be so vicious this year??

It all started in February. On a Tuesday. Our day had started out totally normal, and actually we were having a really great day! Lola was playing well and was super happy with life. Then she went down for her afternoon nap and everything changed.

She woke up extremely fussy and with a fever, and it seemed to go down hill from there. The next 36 hours were miserable. Her fever was climbing so quickly. We tried Tylenol, baths, rags on her forehead and body. Nothing seemed to bring my baby relief. And it was so painful to watch her be in so much pain. She wasn't able to sleep on her own. She only wanted to be held but would still wake up every 20-30 minutes crying. Oh people. It was so heartbreaking. If you're a parent, I'm sure you've experienced this before and understand the pain of watching your child suffer.

The thing about this whole situation that really threw me off was how quickly it all happened. Literally minutes before her afternoon nap that day we were playing and laughing, but from the second she woke up everything was different. It was as if the virus had taken over her body in minutes.

But we all know that's not how it happened.

Because really the virus had been in her body, for a while probably, and it was waiting for her body to be at a weak, vulnerable state before it made its move. Then it took over and it was in control.

I think this is how we feel when a sin has taken over us.


No matter how much it may feel like it, it didn't happen overnight. All of the sudden we look down and our lives are in shambles, and we're shaking our heads, staring at the pieces, wondering how we got here. 


How did I become an impulsive liar?
How did I become addicted to gambling?
How did I become an alcoholic?
How did I develop an eating disorder?

At first our actions and decisions seem so small and meaningless, that we overlook them. They are almost forgotten by the next day. But slowly, we give in a little more. We tell more lies, throw away more money, have a few more drinks, skip a few more meals. These "small decisions" have now become daily routines, and these routines are becoming our lifestyle. We do it without even noticing.

Then we wake up one day and we're in it. Like really losing my mind, can't breathe, can't grasp anything in it. And we're looking up to the sky, shaking our fist at God, and wondering why He would allow His child to be in such a low valley. Why doesn't He just snap His fingers and put me back on top of the mountain?


There were many moments while Lola was sick that I wished I could take the pain and sickness from her body. I would rather have my body suffer than hers. But I knew that wasn't best for her. Her little body, with the help of Jesus and Tamiflu :) , had to fight off that disease. In the end it made her body stronger.  If I would have taken her sickness, her body would have never learned to fight the virus, and truthfully she probably would have ended up with the flu again soon.

Can Jesus completely remove your addiction and struggles overnight? Absolutely.
Will He? Probably not.

We have to learn to fight. Making again those seemingly small and meaningless steps, but this time in the opposite direction. With the help of Jesus Christ, we can overcome. He doesn't want you in the valley overcome with sin. He wants you to be victorious.

Your life may be in shambles. I've been there. I encourage you to quit thinking about how you got there and begin thinking about how you can get out of there.

With Jesus, ALL things are possible.

Comments

  1. What a great picture you painted here, Lindsay. The part that really struck home to me was about watching your child suffer. Lacy is now 21 and I've not only watched her suffer through various illnesses, but watched her struggle through poor decisions as well. There are times, as her daddy I want to come to her rescue, but there are sometimes I have to let the consequences run their course - which is always the hardest! I imagine it's the same for our heavenly Father as well :)
    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts