I want to stand out, but I don't want to be weird

I hate traffic.
Oh wait. I'm sorry, that's not the right word. Despise, loathe, detest. These better describe my feelings.

My girls and I just returned from almost a month long stay in Dallas, and there is traffic everywhere in that city. I grew up in Dallas, so you would think by now I would be used to all of it, but for the last 5 1/2 years, I have been living in Peoria, IL where the word "traffic" has an entirely different meaning. Since living here, I can literally think of one time that I have been stuck in traffic. Thank you, Peoria!

During our stay in Dallas, we spent quite a bit of time in the car. Some of the time we were driving, some of the time we were inching our way down 635, and some of the time we were at a complete standstill. I could go on and on with stories about traffic (I'm sure you're on the edge of your seat), but I'll share just one.

I was headed to a women's event at our church down in Texas, and because of the time of day and the direction that I would be heading, I had already mentally prepared myself for the drive to take longer than normal. And just as I expected, it did. The drive started out ok and then slowly but surely, I began slowing down and became surrounded by more and more cars. I had made this drive before and just suspected that there was a backup on a couple of exits up ahead and that's what was causing the delay.

But before I reached these exits, I saw a break in the traffic. When I passed by I realized that people were not slowing down to get off at their exit or slowing down because of an accident. They were slowing down to look at people who were in a river next to the highway. These people were not in any kind of danger or distress, they were in full on fishing wetsuits (is that the term?? I'm not outdoors-y) just walking thru a river.

Really people of Dallas? We are slowing down to look at people? People who probably didn't even realize they were an interesting enough sight that others felt like they needed to slow down to see?

The rest of the drive was a breeze. No problems. It gave me some time to think about those men. They were not doing anything out of the ordinary for them. They were just doing something different and it caught people's attention. So much so, that they kind of paused what they were doing to see what those men were doing.

Isn't that kind of the goal for Christians? To stand out so much that people stop what they are doing to get a closer look. I want this in my life, but I'm so afraid that I'm just going to look weird, which in turn will push people away.

So how can I do that? How can a be different, a good kind of different?

I'm no expert, but for me this comes down to two things. Two things that I learned from my traffic experience.

1. Be who you are and do what you love.
These men were not doing anything that was weird for them. They were doing something that is weird for some. They probably didn't put much thought into their afternoon and just decided to do something that they would all enjoy.
They didn't look nervous or uncomfortable in any way. It all seemed very natural for them.

2. Don't put much thought into what the people around you will think.
These men did not look like they cared that they were next to a major highway that would allow people to see what they were doing. They were focused on their activity.
I'm not saying that you should be totally oblivious to your surroundings, but you shouldn't allow where you are, who you are with, or what you are doing dictate your spirit or actions. Be you. Be you in every situation. Don't be forceful. Don't change your morals or standards to blend in with the people you are with. Be you, whatever that may look like.

I believe that when you are genuine, you will stand out. Sometimes we think we need to go to some great extreme to stand out as believers, but I don't think that's the case. I think that turns more people away than it does bring people in.

So... what I have learned... Don't give too much thought into trying to stand out. If we have the Spirit of Jesus Christ in us and allow Him to flow through us, standing out should come naturally and won't be forced. The way that we go about our day and respond to different situations will look different and will cause people to stop and look at what we are doing.

And when they do stop, don't be weird. Just keep doing your thing!



It has been ENTIRELY TOO LONG since my last post. Here's a pic of Miss Lola. She stands out wherever she goes!




And here's Harper. I just want to squeeze her all the time, she is so cute!!!

Comments

Popular Posts